I am not a Politician, Just a Professional- Dele Faleti



Dele Faleti is our pride in OkeOgun, his talent is second to none and you can’t listen to him and remember your sorrow. He is such a phenomenal. He hails from Ijio in Iwajowa local Government area of Oyo state but based in Okeho and it is our pride also to host such a talent in Okeho. On the morning of his 58th birthday, he hosted a team of Okeho News Editors led by the Editor in Chief, Bola Olalere where he revealed to them how he started his career and the journey so far. Excerpt:  
In the Beginning 
“I can say that it was my mother who first discovered my talent, when I was in primary 4 in Ijio. My mother was a teacher and each time they were doing the end of the year party in the school, she usually encouraged me to take part in the singing and dancing. 
Meanwhile, my mother being a daughter of an entertainer always sings when cooking and from then I picked most of the oriki and songs. The name of my grandfather is Etien Idowu, he is from the Yoruba speaking part of Republic of Benin. My grandfather encouraged and motivated me a lot. 
In Ijio then everyone knows me as composer, because I compose songs and leads cultural troops.
First Professional Performance 
My first major act was in Ibadan for the then Military Administrator of Oyo State Col. Ahmed Usman. That day was a day of glory. We were about 31 cultural troops selected from across the state and my troop was the 13th to perform.  After the performance of my Gelede and Agijo group, we got the loudest ovation and came first. Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi was also at that event and in his remarks, he praised our team, saying that was the first time he would see an Army Officer dancing in his Uniform.
The secret of that performance is research and more research. Apart from the fact that I have the natural talent, I went to Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife where I studied theater act and each time I have a show I use to prepare for it like a lawyer preparing for court.
Back to that performance in Ibadan, I found out that the Governor we were going to perform for is Gaara by tribe. So I was thinking how would I impress someone in a language he do not understands. At that time there was one Ejire Hotel in Okeho, there used to be some prostitutes there. I found out that some of these prostitutes were Gaara, so I went to them to learn some words in Gaara language. During the performance I  used Yoruba ewi tones with Gaara language and the Governor was so impressed and gave me the title Chartered Communicator CC , (Dele Faleti CC). That performance also earned me an employment at the local council in 1994.
When Governor Oyahire came to commission Ilaji – Ilero road, I performed there. I also went to learn his language and turned it to ewi and he was equally impressed. 
Am Not partisan, Just a Professional 
It is not now that I started performing for Governors. I have started since the days of Military Administrators. So if some people are saying that Dele Faleti is partisan, it’s only because they don’t understand that I am a professional and not a politician. Nobody can say that they see me at Alaapa or Eeyele meetings.   I entertain everybody and anybody who seeks my service. One thing about me is that you will never find me in an event I wasn’t invited to and I honor invitations once we have understanding. 
About the boy singing recently that am partisan and that I'm the one who instructed him to be insulting PDP, apart from the fact that it is not true, you will also ask, if I asked him to jump into the well, will he do it . That boy is an ingrate and replying him will only make him popular. So I decided to ignore him, but for the record, I have been promoting him with my equipment and contacts for a very long time. 
There was a time I took him to BCOS in Ibadan and I have also brought BCOS to Okeho to interview him. I also recorded for him in my studio. But its just one of those things expected when growing higher and I thank God for that.
My Exploits in OkeOgun
I also want to use this medium to thank the people of OkeOgun for their support and patronage. I achieved all that I have in OkeOgun and comparing with people in the cities, I can say that I’m not a failure. You don’t need to go to Lagos or Ibadan to be successful. I don’t have much but the little I have if compares with someone in Lagos or Ibadan …I always thank God.
Advice for Young Broadcasters 
My advice for young people who are aspiring to be successful in broadcasting is that they should put God first and should not stop studying and doing research adding to their talent. It is only God who can make you successful without stress. It is not about juju or joining secret or occult societies that make you famous or excel. In only God I trust.
Family   
I have a very lovely family who support my career. My wife is my number one fan. Before I make any joke in public, my wife must hear it first. It’s not easy to make my wife laugh, so any joke that doesn’t amuse her; I don’t say it in public. But anytime I crack a joke at home and my wife laughs and says Ha! Daddy Caro ooo, then it’s good for the public. 
My Son Sunday Faleti (Enu Oro) took after me in communication. He is a teacher in Iganna and my daughter Caroline Faleti, she is very active in church entertainment. Adebayo Faleti is another son of mine. I named him after Baba Adebayo Faleti. Baba assisted me a lot, he was the one who recommended me for OAU to go and study Theater Art. We are not related but share the surname.  I am still very close to the Faleti’s family, even when Baba died I was there to performed at his funeral. 
So my Bayo Faleti is also a comedian but in English language. He is also an Engineer and he is the one manning my studio. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CIVID-19: REFLECTIONS By Azeez Wasiu

Makinde To Re award Moniya Iseyin Road

OKEOGUN ROADS NEED REHABILITATION - Bar. Waheed Lawal